Newcastle United say they are "disappointed" with Alexander Isak's claims that the club "broke promises" in his bid to force a Liverpool transfer.
Isak claims Newcastle "broke promises"Magpies "disappointed" with Liverpool targetRespond with statement of their ownFollow GOAL on WhatsApp! 🟢📱WHAT HAPPENED?
Weeks on from Isak handing in a Newcastle transfer request, the 25-year-old took to social media to tell his side of the story on Tuesday, while accusing the Magpies of going back on their word. The Sweden international said his relationship with the Toon cannot continue, as the "trust" between them has been lost, and that change is in everyone's "best interests". Newcastle have since released a swift response, saying no such commitment was made to allow the Liverpool target to leave this summer.
AdvertisementGetty Images SportWHAT NEWCASTLE SAID
A club statement reads: "We are disappointed to have been alerted to a social media post by Alexander Isak this evening. We are clear in response that Alex remains under contract and that no commitment has ever been made by a club official that Alex can leave Newcastle United this summer. We want to keep our best players, but we also understand players have their own wishes and we listen to their views. As explained to Alex and his representatives, we must always take into consideration the best interests of Newcastle United, the team and our supporters in all decisions and we have been clear that the conditions of a sale this summer have not transpired. We do not foresee those conditions being met. This is a proud football club with proud traditions and we strive to retain our family feel. Alex remains part of our family and will be welcomed back when he is ready to rejoin his teammates."
THE BIGGER PICTURE
Liverpool had a £120 million ($162m) offer for Isak rejected by Newcastle earlier this summer, and although he wants an Anfield switch, there is no guarantee the Reds will increase their bid. Arne Slot's team have already signed Hugo Ekitike in a hefty £79m ($107m) transfer, so they are not in desperate need of a new number nine. With the transfer window shutting on September 1, Isak, Newcastle, and Liverpool have less than two weeks to find a transfer solution to this messy affair.
(C)Getty ImagesWHAT NEXT?
Former Real Sociedad man Isak, who went on strike to force a move earlier this month, is unlikely to feature when Newcastle host Premier League champions Liverpool at St James' Park on Monday. It remains to be seen if he has played his last game for the club, who are ready to welcome him back into the fold despite his actions.






